Thursday, July 17, 2008

Tire Changing Day – Making the best of it

July 3
Tire Changing Day – Making the best of it
by Lauren Traub Teton

Today I finally got around to tending to the tires on my car. OK, I’ll spill the beans. It’s July, and I finally got to taking the snow tires off. And I don’t live in Alaska.
But I was pleased to be able to turn this potentially dreary and expensive task into an afternoon of fun. How did I do it?

First, I expected the best for myself and set out to obtain it. I think it’s just as important to take care of myself as it is to take care of my automobile, and what better time to do it than when I was forced to take a car-fixing break from my routine?

I could have sat in the waiting room of my local Mavis Tire Shop for 2 hours inhaling the scent of fresh rubber tires and reading the newspapers and dog-eared magazines, and it would have been ok. Sometimes I just take the magazines outdoors and sit on the sunny step outside the shop, and read in the fresh air.

But my path today ended up being to take a walk. I started toward town on this hot day, and unexpectedly wonderful things happened. A brand new store along my way had a perfect little accessory for my house, both attractive and practical, at a wholesale price.

I called my husband to discuss it, and found he was driving through that same town I was in, on the way from an appointment. He came over and looked at the accessory, and liked it too, and we bought it and put it in his car.

Then I headed over to the Dunkin Donuts next to the tire shop, spotting a nicely shaded plot of grass under a tree where I planned to drink my iced tea. Inside the shop I struck up a conversation with the very Twifty woman behind me in line whose dress I admired. Turns out she is a local public relations firm owner and we may end up doing some business together. We chatted and I never did make it to the shady spot because my car got finished.

My afternoon of car repair turned out to be an unexpectedly pleasant time of serendipitous events. I was lucky, but I also went into it with a positive attitude. If I had expected drudgery and boredom, I’m sure I would have gotten that too!

Visit Twifties.com!

"Spend 2 minutes at Twifties.com, and you'll...feel...BETTER!

No comments: